EMDR Therapy Basic Training Course
Presented by Christie Sprowls, PsyD
EMDR Institute Senior Trainer
Dr. Christie Sprowls was personally selected and trained by Francine Shapiro, PhD, the founder of EMDR Therapy, to provide trainings nationally and internationally. This is the only regional training in Texas that is approved by both the EMDR Institute and EMDRIA (the EMDR International Association).
EMDR THERAPY TRAINING OVERVIEW
This is a 50 hour course which includes 10 hours of consultation and provides 40 continuing education units (CEUs).
Participants will learn via lecture, video, demonstrations, Q and A sessions, role play demonstrations, small group exercises and supervised practice sessions.
Each participant will experience EMDR as both clinician and client through practice sessions each weekend. These practice sessions are facilitated by members of the training staff.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures, Third Edition by Francine Shapiro, PhD (Guilford Press, 2017). It is advised to have read the textbook prior to the first weekend of training, so you will know what questions you have for the trainer.
Participants will learn the basic EMDR Therapy in order to begin to utilize EMDR in clinical practice within recommended limits.
- Overview of the History of EMDR Therapy and research
- EMDR therapy 8 phases
- Specialized History-taking and case conceptualization
- Stabilization and self-control techniques
- Recommended limits for beginning utilization
- Desensitization of traumatic memories and present anxieties
- Installation of positive belief structures
- Strategies for client resource development and enhancement
- Case formulation
- Creative strategies to deal with strong emotional responses
- Practicum experience with other participant
- Case Consultation with staff
Participants will learn the use of EMDR in more complex clinical presentations as well as broaden their understanding of EMDR Therapy
- How to apply EMDR to a range of trauma related complaints, including applications to dissociative symptoms, somatoform disorders, phobias, natural disasters, PTSD, children and more complex applications for adult survivors of abuse
- How to manage Recent Events
Attendance in an EMDR Therapy Training is limited to licensed mental health professionals, interns on a state licensing track, and second-year students in an accredited graduate program. Students and interns must receive approval for attendance. For information on eligibility requirements, click the following link to the EMDRIA website.
The training is conducted over two weekends at the training location and includes two segments of consultation by conference call to assist in the application of course material between training sessions.
SPRING 2018 (DALLAS, TEXAS)
Weekend One: March 22, 23, 24 2018
Consultation Conference Calls: May 9, 2018 and June 6, 2018 (2 hours on each day)
Weekend Two: June 21, 22, 23 2018
SUMMER 2018 (AUSTIN, TEXAS)
Weekend One: July 13, 14, 15 2018
Consultation Conference Calls: August 13, 2018 and September 5, 2018 (2 hours on each day)
Weekend Two: September 14, 15, 16 2018
FALL/WINTER 2018 (AUSTIN, TEXAS)
Weekend One: November 9, 10, 11 2018
Consultation Conference Calls: December 10 or 12, 2018 and January 7 or 9, 2019 (2 hours on each day)
Weekend Two: January 18, 19, 20 2019
SPRING 2019 (DALLAS, TEXAS)
Dates to be determined (TBD)
To register for or inquire about a specific EMDR Therapy Basic Training Course, please click on the AUSTIN TRAINING or DALLAS TRAINING button below or contact Katherine Scattergood at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-547-8931.